Piaggio P-180 Avanti

The Piaggio P180 Avanti is an Italian twin-engine turboprop aircraft produced by Piaggio Aero. It seats 5-8 passengers in a pressurized cabin. The innovative design places the main wing behind and above the canard-like horizontal stabilizer, features a laminar flow fuselage and has engines in pusher configuration.
The Avanti’s turboprop engines are placed on a mid-fuselage, high aspect ratio wing, located behind the cabin. The design utilizes both a T-tail and a pair of small, fixed anhedral forward wings that lack control surfaces. The arrangement of the wing surfaces allows all three to provide lift, as opposed to a conventional configuration, where the horizontal stabilizer creates a downward force to counteract the nose-down moment generated by the center of gravity being forward of the center of lift.
Distinctive design features include a non-constant cross section cabin, a revolutionary shape. Piaggio claims the fuselage contributes up to 20 percent of the Avanti’s total lift, with the horizontal stabilizer and front and rear wing providing the remaining 80 percent. Because of the unusual fuselage shape, the mid cabin is considerably wider than the cockpit, and many compare its cabin space to that of a mid-sized jet.

Aircraft Information

 Passenger Capacity: 4
Airspeed (mph): 470
Cabin Width: 5.21
Cabin Length (ft): 14.59
Lavatory Style: –
Cabin Height (ft): 4.85
Baggage Capacity: 77.69 ft3